Blog God Houston Kids Maternity Motherhood peace Pregnancy Teacher Working mom

The Ashmores Blog has some BIG news!

Teaching has been my passion since I was a little girl. I used to play school in my bedroom. I had a chalkboard, overhead projector, worksheets, and animals as my students.

I was so excited when that dream became a reality in August of 2010! I landed my first teaching job at an amazing private school. There was only one problem. I had an 8 month old and would need to leave him in the care of someone else. BUT this opportunity presented itself and it was too good to pass up. I took the teaching position and have been there for the past 7 years. I have taught the same grade all of those years.

I knew from the moment Oakland was 8 months old that I was destined to be his teacher one day. I was going to make sure that happened. It did this past year. Oakland has been in my 1st grade class since August but now it’s time for my maternity leave and I will no longer be his teacher.

Oakland’s first day of Kindergarten!

Getting to teach alongside one of your closest friends was such a blessing!

My 1st year of teaching!!! 2010

Oakland’s first day of school with his 1st grade teacher! (mom) 🙂

Over the past 7 years God has blessed me with so much patience, love, devotion, and peace  when it comes to teaching little ones. It wasn’t easy leaving Oakland everyday. It was hard missing those first milestones. I was sad when I wasn’t able to attend a class party. I felt inadequate when I couldn’t take care of him when he was sick. BUT GOD. God knew what my mommy heart felt and he always seemed to provide the right words or the right people when I would feel less than for being a working mom outside of the home.

Then Ainsley came along in 2013. My first rainbow baby. I still wanted to teach… so I did and I left her in the care of her daddy this time. I didn’t want to leave her but I knew I needed to. Teaching was my calling but also was being a mother. I was conflicted. I was torn. God still provided.

Now I am 34 weeks pregnant with my second rainbow baby and it is time that I enter a new season in my life and not teach at a school anymore..my last day of teaching is this FRIDAY, MARCH 31ST!!!!

This was definitely a joint decision. Jerod wanted me to stay at home with our next baby and I so desired to also. We prayed about it, talked about it nonstop, and then decided I was no longer going to teach after 7 years of service at an amazing school I will dearly miss.

Leaving a job ( calling) that you absolutely love so much is going to be tough. I am leaving behind teacher friends I have taught with for so long. Leaving an amazing community of believers, parents who are friends, and the comfort of going to the same loving place for the past 7 years. Friday is going to be a rough day..

I am so grateful I will get to be there for Leighton’s first of EVERYTHING….. I am hoping to be able to breastfeed her ( I wasn’t able to with O or A… I exclusively pumped all day long.. in the classroom, in the car, in the bathroom, you name it) I can’t wait to be involved in Ainsley’s last year of Pre-k! I can’t wait to build mommy friendships!! I can’t wait to finally start to cook, haha, for real. I am SO READY for this new role and new season God has prepared for me!

I am still in shock that this is happening. I have worked for the PAST 7 YEARS…… wow. Now I will be a stay at home working mom! I will be spending more quality time with my husband, blogging more, working with more brands, volunteering more, cooking finally, being in the word more, spending more time in my children’s classrooms, and just being more PRESENT.

Leighton is our last baby and I am going to soak in every last moment I have with her being in the womb since I am going on maternity leave at 34 weeks! I would love prayers as our family transitions into this new season. As always I so appreciate every page view, share, and comment! You are amazing and dearly loved.

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

Trista Peterson
    March 28, 2017 at 9:23 pm

I love this! I am so, so happy for you, mama!

Meg O.
    March 28, 2017 at 9:29 pm

SO HAPPY for you and this new stage of your life! You deserve it!!! Love you!

Ashley peavey
    March 28, 2017 at 9:33 pm

So happy for you guys! God is so good!!

Lisa Doyle
    March 28, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Congrats girl!!! I have always looked up to you being a mom, teacher, and new blogger. My husband and I decided as well that I will not go back to work next school year!!! I’m so excited to be a stay at home mommy! Good luck your last few weeks of pregnancy!

Xoxo
    Your Redlocks and Shamrocks Girl,
    Lisa Doyle

Ileana
    March 28, 2017 at 10:32 pm

So excited for you as you enter this new season !!!!!! Many new and exciting things will be coming your way I’m sure so I’ll pray for a smooth transition! ❤

Sarah Vieira
    March 28, 2017 at 10:56 pm

So happy for this new journey in your life! It’s a new season for sure but one that God has prepared and will continue to prepare your heart for it.
    “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:” ‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭3:1‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Taylor
    March 29, 2017 at 3:01 am

That’s so exciting Brittany! Congratulations on so many fun things!

Diedre
    March 29, 2017 at 3:17 am

Wow! What a dream! Congrats.

Stephanie Gilbert
    March 29, 2017 at 3:43 am

Good for you, girl! So happy for you in this new phase of life!

Sarah
    March 29, 2017 at 4:43 am

Congrats, mama! I made that same decision after 7 years in the same classroom when Noelle was a baby. Best decision I could have made! I’ve been able to be much more present and not having to divide my time between so many children has been great. Although, the one thing I thought I would do more is cook but it happens less! It’s more of a mad dash to get healthy food on the table while tiny vultures hang off my legs and ransack the house. Hahaha so worth it, though! Enjoy this time!

Sara Cozad
    March 29, 2017 at 4:59 am

What an awesome blessing!! Congrats on this new season in your life. Praying for your transition!!

Ayanna @ 21FlavorsofSplendor
    March 29, 2017 at 5:00 am

This is so awesome!!! I worked as a pharmacist for 6 years before leaving my career to stay home full-time, so I totally understand all the emotions you are feeling. But God has and will continue to be faithful. It will definitely take a lot of adjustments, but they are all worth it. 💕

Allison Renner
    March 29, 2017 at 5:27 am

That’s amazing friend!!! So happy for you! As a former teacher myself, I know the work, time and love you have given away these last 7 years! Excited for your new role!!!

Erin
    March 29, 2017 at 6:17 am

SO happy for you!!!! Congratulations!!!

Sheila
    March 29, 2017 at 7:14 am

This is so exciting!! Being a stay at home mama is so fun! God is so good!

Bridget
    March 29, 2017 at 7:58 am

How exciting for you and your growing family! Congrats to you and YES, GOD is SO GOOD!!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World
    March 29, 2017 at 9:31 am

Congratulations, Brittany!! That is so wonderful for your whole family!

Shiri
    March 29, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Congratulations! Such exciting news! ❤🙏🏻

New seasons are hard. – The Ashmores Blog
    August 19, 2017 at 5:11 pm

[…] my little guy. He’s headed to 2nd grade and I am not headed back to the classroom. I wrote this post in March and announced I wasn’t going to go back to teaching after  7 years. This decision […]